Wednesday, January 7, 2009

'Tis the Season.....

Our original plan was to ski all day on Christmas Day. We had friends from out of town staying with us and everyone was 'pumped up' for a first day on the slopes.
It rained, heavy rain, on our tin roof all night Christmas Eve. Up at 0'dark thirty, we checked weather reports, road reports, travel advisories; and we decided to stay home and let the blizzard in the Sierras wear itself out.
Tristan was relieved to find that Santa himself, had no trouble making it through the blizzard.





The following day, also Tristan's birthday, we headed up the hill. These check points are a common sight on the chains required days. Our 4-wheel drive and all 4 snow tires allowed our ascent without the chains.





Traffic was heavy but evenly spaced, driving was slow and careful, we made it to the ski resort safely.

Yeehaw!
I took up skiing just a few years ago and it is my winter-time love. I would ski daily if possible. I don't remember the exact number, but my first year, I skied over 20 times.
When I started dating Jerry, I remember telling him that my ideal partner would love to ride horses, love the country, camp, travel and snow ski. He smiled, I wondered, "is that his smile when he hasn't heard a word I said?, or is that the smile of a man who just agrees with everything?, or can he really be the one who does all things?"
Our first winter together, Jerry was recovering from a traumatic dislocation of his shoulder, the Dr. said NO skiing. We went to Durango that winter and Jerry sat in a chair at the bottom of a ski run sipping 'spirits' while his son and I had an awesome day skiing Purgatory.
We entered our second winter season with one recovering from cardiac surgery and the other recovering from a riding accident.
Our third winter together and I discover the truth........

The Cowboy skis, and he likes it, a lot! He even went back and skied all day the following day, while I was at work.




Birthday Boy spent the entire day taking snow board lessons. He was hot, worn out and in no mood for a picture. I took some anyways.





Whether they be dusty, muddy or snowy;
Happy Trails to all!




5 comments:

Jenn said...

Ooh, I would trade that snow for our ice any ole day of the winter! How beautiful.

I'm glad Jerry enjoys skiing...I can't imagine living THAT close to the Sierras and not enjoying it.

Although exhausted, the birthday boy looks like he had a fun day on the mountain.

Anonymous said...

Oh my holy heck... you ARE alive!!! And you've been doing jealousy inducing activities AGAIN to boot!!! Green is not my best color girlfriend.

What did you name your big handsome dog???

Anonymous said...

OH How I miss the Mtn. skiing. I haven't gone this year yet. Snow here is. HERE ONE DAY GONE THE NEXT. COLD!!!!. I guess I could go and ski on all the ice they spray the hills with. REMEMBER the ice skiing here? It's only Jan. you gots lots more time for skiing. I WILL COME JOIN YOU ONE OF THESE YEARS!!! HONEST!! Is Tristan ready for more? Miss ya.

Anonymous said...

those pics of check points look, so familiar. Kevin bugging me to go again.

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys all enjoy the skiing. You found the right guy, sounds like. I may not ski, but did enjoy watching everyone ski, so many years ago.
Enjoy all the skiing, riding, hiking and everything else, you want to try, have fun.
Take care.
Love to all.