Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The above picture was taken the day Jerry and I got married. Way back in July 2007. In fact, when I took the picture I didn't know that by evening we'd be Mr & Mrs. We were engaged but I was kind of leaning towards a five year engagement. He suggested we go check out some of the Tahoe Chapels, for future reference of course. By nightfall we gathered with our camping buddies and tied the knot.

But that's not the subject of this post, I got slightly side-tracked looking at old pictures. I was looking for pictures of mules. I have become fond of mules over the past few years. They are as different from horses as dogs are from cats. Jerry rode that "Pistol" mule quite a bit in 2007. We were buddies,that mule and I. But I didn't ride him much, I prefer riding horses and using mules as pack animals. Jerry enjoys mules, he is Mister Mule Whisperer, he rides 'em, packs 'em, trains 'em, ropes off of 'em, and heaven only knows what else the ol' boy has up his sleeve. I am sure I'll find out, because........



This is one of a set of mules that came to live with us this past weekend. He already has a name so we don't have to go through all of that naming ordeal again. I re-introduce you to "Pistol".


This is the other half of the pair. Her name is "Milly", she is more of a pistol, or firecracker, than "Pistol" is. That little chain over her nose keeps her honest, without it, she tends to spin and take off at a run, dragging her victim behind.






And I was concerned that I was bringing home too many animals. Jerry is responsible for this increase in herd size. But I sure like them and am looking forward to even more adventures here at the zoo.


10 comments:

Courtney said...

You guys are going to be the pound pretty soon...lol.

It's great to see great people take in all these animals and give them a loving home.

Jenn said...

Oh, what lovely mules! I imagine all your horses have seen mules pretty regularly and didn't react to them too much. I don't know what any of my horses would do if I brought such a large-eared critter home! Every day I drive past a farm that breeds gigantic Belgian mule crosses. They are GORGEOUS!!! They are colored just like Belgian drafts, but have the long ears, unique "donkey" tales and short-necked conformation of mules.

I guess you really did need that bigger horse trailer, eh? 'Cause now you're gonna have to pack out the mules for camping trips. :P

Anonymous said...

So now is Jerry going to ride Pistal and pack one of the horses?Did pistal remember you? Looks like the horses there get to eat grass all year long. DON'T YOU MISS THE WHITE STUFF ON THE GROUND FOR FIVE MONTHS A YEAR? Just a LITTLE????

Anonymous said...

yee haw!!!

Anonymous said...

Have Fun on your ranch of many different animals. Bet Tristan is enjoying all of them!

"Hi, love, xos" to all

Anonymous said...

Have Fun on your ranch of many different animals. Bet Tristan is enjoying all of them!

"Hi, love, xos" to all

Karen Deborah said...

How wonderful! When do the pigs arrive? How about a goat or two?
chickens? The mules will protect your place and your critters besides being pretty. A mule whisperer? Very cool. I was wondering where your mind was going when you said you were looking for mules and posted a picture of your husband. hee hee.
Soon will see if mule poop also has silver linings.

Anonymous said...

If I show up in a shirt that says STRAY on it, will you take me in?

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't doubt it...in regards to the above comment! :)

Kathy said...

Courtney, I hope we are finished now. No more critters!
Jenn, they get used to mules real quick. Scarier are the neighbors llamas. I like small mules, easier to pack.
Dave, I DO NOT miss snow, there is plenty just up the hill. Both mules can be used for riding or packing. I don't like riding the mules so if we need an extra riding animal, the mule riding defaults to Jerry. Pistol does like Tristan an awful lot. Maybe one day it will be the boy riding the mule.
Di, say that while you ride a mule in a few weeks! YEEHAW
Mom, I try to have much fun as I can stand ;-)
Karen NO pigs, been there done that, no goats either been there done that also, Chickens - YES waiting on a promised coop to be built.
CB, if I send you that shirt, will you come visit?
LOL Di