Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bernese Mountain Dog


I appreciate all of the input and name suggestions for this wonderful addition to our family. I liked so many of your names and tried many of them out. He has been called a multitude of names over the past few weeks, and I continue to hear Amy calling him the most bizarre things. She really is not too fond of dogs, she is definitely a 'cat person', but she seems to really like this guy.
He fits in well here and is feeling so much better than when he arrived. Improved health and an increased energy level has brought out his true personality. Still rather dignified, he plays like a puppy and can be quite the goof-ball. He is quietly affectionate and has won our hearts.


Cort is active, rambunctious and in constant play mode. They balance one another well. I still feed them separately to monitor food intake and prevent any falling out over meals. Above, shows how well they get along even when one has something quite yummy to chew on; such as horse hoof chunks, pine cones, logs, you know...dog stuff.


They communicate well, sniff noses, clean one another's ears, snuggle together to nap, wrestle like maniacs, and have become good buddies. The one negative that has occurred with this, is that Cort has become infected with some sort of upper respiratory crud carried from the Animal Shelter jail time mountain dog served, prior to our adoption.
And yes, Cort has been well vaccinated, but the infectious agent still invaded. I didn't send samples to the laboratory to identify his specific infection, but he is responding to treatment and sleeping better at night. He is eating, drinking, playing, but less active and continues to nap a lot, sneeze, cough and is typically worse at night. Last night he was sent out of our bedroom, banished to the kitchen to sleep, so we wouldn't have to hear dog snorts, snores and snuffles all night. We needed sleep!
It makes me feel bad when any critter is not well. Well, I guess that explains why I am in this profession, hmmm.


Speaking of not-well critters, Wrangler is doing great. His massive chest injuries barely left any scars. My next post, I'll show how well he is coming along with his training. He also has won our hearts and the rest of the horse herd has finally accepted him and spend hours playing silly horse games with him, really.
OH! I need to mention the dog's name! Again thanks for all of the suggestions. We called him Carson for just too long so the name Carson stuck. But I loved so many of your ideas. I do find myself referring to him as the Big Dawg, the Skinny Dawg, Stinky, or Hey Buddy. To test his acceptance of the name Carson, I have called out to him any of the above and he comes to me no matter what I call him. Good Dawg!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

What a handsome fella he is! He really looks like he's thriving and LOVING having a real home and buddies. Very cool.

Wrangler is DEFINITELY wider and looks more like a horse than a baby compared to when I saw him this summer. He's lookin' good!

P.S. I'm all jealous of that GREEN GRASS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm... what nicknames would I come up with for Carson...

Carson Warson Warderly Rump... di dump... I'd end up calling him Rumpus.

I already know I'm weird, so no need to alert me.

Anonymous said...

i was wondering how Wrangler's doing.

Anonymous said...

Wrangler and Carson are very luckie to be part of your family. Great care give to all. Sorry to read Cort not feeling to well. Hope he is feeling better real soon. Just like kids have to pass the sickness to everyone else, cann't keep it to one self.

Kathy said...

Jenn, Thanks! Yes Wrangler is maturing well and even growing taller, finally!

CB, Weird? Never crossed my mind, you would fit quite nicely in my small circle of friends and family! I love that creative nicname!

Di, you need to come see him and ski while you're here. Just ask Kev!

Mom, thanks. Cort seems much better today. Yep, just like kids.

Anonymous said...

Dear finder. I see you found our dog Sampsom. We lost him while on a trip to Cal. to breed him. My six children and I can't wait to get Luke home. The Duke is our only income. He is from a great blood line, and a great STUD. Plus Jake is the only thing keeping my little Sally alive. Sally slipped back into her coma just after loosing Thor. The rest of the eight kids are in a deep deprestion They all love Ceaser so much and miss him greatly. I got him from a trade with my EX. for one of the kids. She just had to have her. Thats ok at least Bow pays his own way. Anyway, the ten kids and I really need to get Tiny back as soon as we can. We are suppose to be going to France to breed him six more times. If we don't make make it we will loose every thing we own. I do need the Hummer Limo to get all twelve kids around. they are all under ten years old. As you can see Bear is in perfect heath. I don't know who that other dog is, I just hope it don't get our Baron sick. So if you would be so kind to put Loomas on a plane right away(FRIST CLASS) thats what he likes. You'll find a chip in him that will give you all the info you will need. I hope Pete hasn't been a bother. We are all looking forward to getting Hulks balls back to work. Making us all the money we can get. Thank you. TWENTY SAD PEOPLE.

Anonymous said...

Wow on that comment above this one... yikes.

Thank you so much for leaving the comment you did on a certain someone's blog. It really touched me. Really.

Kathy said...

I am happy to announce that I have sent old Bernie back to his deserving original owners and their 6 sets of triplets on a private jet supplied by P.I.T.A. We were able to locate his gonads and reattach them successfully. I have been promised a puppy from his first next litter.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Birt made it home safely. The family is now off to France. He looks a little smaller than I remember. I hope nothing happened to his money makers while he was there. Whats with the big funal around his head? Thanks agian. Have a great life. Hope to get more great pups from him. Your the frist on the list to get one.
(ty) Twenty Five HAPPY people.