Tuesday, August 24, 2010

From the back of my mule.....

This was my favorite ride, ever, anywhere. Two weeks ago we explored a trail loop in the Sierra Nevada on horse (mule) back with a group of friends. Perfect weather, abundant mountain wild flowers, overlooks and views that melt away burdens. I'd love to share the lonely sound of breezes rustling the pine boughs and pause with you, to deeply inhale the fresh mountain scent of sage, pine and flowers. Instead, I'll settle with sharing these few photos of a small section of our vast wilderness.




Steep switch backs taking us higher and higher into the mountains.


Snow still melting, created little streams feeding fields bursting with color.


Trailing along the crest of a ridge.


Millie looking for her buddies ahead. They have disappeared in the fields of lupine.



Pretty.




See the patch of snow in the distance behind Jerry and Pistol? Those two little dots on it are a boy and his Golden Retriever sliding and playing in the snow.





A bit of rock climbing.







I want to go back and stay a week, or more.






Our noon lunch stop.








Pistol and Millie taking their noon break.









Lake Tahoe can be seen in the distance.










Peace.











We rode for 4 1/2 hours, stopping frequently to enjoy.












Yes, I want to go back.
Enjoy your trails.













10 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

I have always been madly in love with the Sierra mountains. these pics are exactly why. Thank you so much for sharing them you made my day.

Jenn said...

You know, mom, every time you post photos of the mountain trail rides like this it makes me seriously reconsider my decision about never, every moving to California.

lov Ya, Mom said...

Thank You for the beautiful pictures. makes me wish, I could ride a horse and ride into these MTs. Beautiful. Yes, Kathy,you need to go back for an other ride, maybe camping even.

Yes, Jenn, know what you mean, ride your horses in these Mts.unreal.

Rach said...

That settles it. I've GOT to get out west--someday... This is just gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing! :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, how inspiring! Thanks for taking the time to keep your site current. In reference to your post on the fawn page, I completely understand wanting to give up on people sometimes. How rewarding the path that you have chosen must be though over all. Healing God's wondrous creatures.
Anne

david said...

I do need to move out there. Just need a job. I know, Pro. Outdoors Man. I'll just live in the Mtns. live off the land. OUCH! Who pinched me?

Unknown said...

What a life! Great shots but my favourite has to be Millie looking for her buddies.

di :) said...

Wow! when can i come back?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a lovely ride. Thanks for taking us along.

Karen Deborah said...

i am ready for some more--where u goin next?