Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Perfect Day

This is a big, deep hole in an old Oak tree in our front yard. It's inhabitants have been very busy lately. Who resides in this cozy nest? Can you guess from my picture or post?

Sunday was a most beautiful day. We spent the day out in the sun enjoying our little corner of the world. The fruit trees that I planted a year ago are budding and blooming.

This nectarine tree is thickly covered with pink buds. The peaches are trying to catch up. The cherries and apple trees are just starting to get tiny buds. We were careful to plant varieties that would cross-pollinate successfully.


New flowers are appearing almost daily. They are such an exciting surprise. Many flowers were planted by the original owners of our cabin and we discover new ones each season.



Lavender and purple are my favorite colors.




Another view of that habitat. I wasn't able to get a clear shot of 'who lives deep in there'.





Cort laying down catching some rays instead of trotting all about making sure that everything is in order. That is his job, you know.






Jerry mowed most of the front yard. He left a long strip for me to high-line the horses out for some extra grazing.







We had horses and mules spread out all over the property grazing since the ground had dried from the previous heavy rains. More blossoms on the plum tree.
It was so refreshing to spend the day outdoors working on plants and with the animals.
Then came Monday, and the cold weather returned. Hail, freezing temperatures and frost. I covered my fruit trees with plastic to protect from the freeze. I believe it worked!
Tuesday it was cold and rainy up here. I worked down in the valley an hour from here and it was sunny but a bit 'brisk'.
This morning the schools delayed opening an hour due to the icy road conditions. Brrrr, I have been chilled all day.
According to the folks that earn good money to predict such things, it should start warming up again tomorrow. I am hoping that they are correct.



Happy Trails!




12 comments:

lov ya, mom f said...

I really enjoyed all your pictures. who lives in tree, raccoon??? I love your place, the beautiful trees, flowers, nice grass. ENJOY
"Hi,to All"

Jenn said...

Your grass is beautiful, and the horses look very happy to be enjoying it! The purple/lavender flowers are my favorite too. I planted TONS of purple bulbs this fall and I'm excited to see them come up.

I'm gonna guess there's a coon family in yonder oak tree!

Karen Deborah said...

Spring at your place is just plain spectacular! It's warm here today too. I have the heater off and the windows open. We might get 6 weeks of this and then it will get WARM. I love California plums with the dark red meat inside. Oh yeah, another reason to visit you...

Kathy said...

not a raccoon....

our plum tree bears no fruit, I don't know whether it is because there is not another one to POLLINATE with or if it is one of those designed to be fruitless trees.

lov ya, mom f said...

not a coon, then does Billy live in the hole in tree? ;-)

di :) said...

squirrels? enjoy all that green grass. :) it'll be dried up and brown in a couple of months. ours is still partially covered in snow. I'm sure before the month is over it'll be totally covered again. :(

di :) said...

i do see your couple of hints on who lives in the tree, but i've been eliminated from the guessing game. :)

lov ya, mom f said...

BIRDS live in the tree hole

lov ya, mom f said...

I guess you aren't going to tell us,"Who lives in the hole in tree?"

Kathy said...

good guess but all incorrect. It is a gigantic bee hive! Jerry wants to collect the honey. I say, 'oh no'... I'll keep redirecting his thoughts so he really doesn't start messing with a huge mass of wild bees. They are loving our fruit tree blossoms.

lov ya, mom f said...

Thank You for answer, honey Bees. Get Jerry a bee outfit and let him get some good fresh home grown honey. yuuummmmy.... Still love looking at these beautiful pictures green grass, flowers, blooming trees, sunshine, horses, dogs. You have a beautiful place...
"Hi" To ALL, hugs Kisses also

Anonymous said...

Oh Good Lord... I sooooooooooo want to be where you are. How absolutely GORGEOUS!!! We've got snow coming tomorrow. Ugh.