Friday, January 28, 2011

Time to Catch Up

I left you back in the mud for an awfully long spell. It has been a busy winter out here, I'll catch you up on the happenings around these parts, but it may take a while.
I'll start at Thanksgiving. I took time off work to spend some time with Jerry. I was thinking maybe a day trip or two, going out for dinner perhaps a movie, long walks in the park (not really). Jerry thought it would be great to spend quality time together. The following five pictures illustrate our very basic differences of that concept.

Our front yard on Thanksgiving weekend. Tristan is working hard and has a happy face.

Sure he has a Happy Face because he gets to play with the big boy toys.

Jerry also has a happy face. He rented this toy for the weekend. He controls it from the bucket, it goes up and down, sideways, backwards...... It allows him to reach all of the dead and dying tree branches that need to come down.


Our quality time together involved me, with my cell phone set to speed dial 911, carefully watching how close the toy and Jerry came to the power lines. OSHA would not have approved; there were no hard helmets worn, no safety lines attached, and the cowboy chain saw operator would stand on one leg leaning way over the basket to reach limbs. I also got to haul the cut limbs out of the way. Be glad you cannot see my 'happy' face.



I also got to set out orange traffic cones and stand out in the road to prevent cars from crashing into the toy. One neighbor did drive by and he laughed at me for the cones, but he does crazy things on his property too.
The limbs were all trimmed, the yard cleaned up, and a new pile to burn is ready. Next time I'll have to communicate better when I take time off work to spend time quality with Jerry.




Occasionally, life gets boring and needs to be spiced up a tad.











You know, something exciting and unexpected that captures full attention.






Preferably not so unexpected that the urge is to run in the opposite direction.







The most fun often comes from unexpected sources.








A barrel of monkeys is always good for a laugh.









Middle School basketball was the sport of the season. Tristan played well and gave it his all.





















There were exciting games and some proud moments.











The Placerville Christmas Parade is an annual event we participate in. My part is taking pictures. Jerry is riding my mare Rock and packing Christmas on Remington.












Our riding club won first place in the equestrian entries.













Jerry, Rock and Rem.














Visiting our favorite Tree Farm in December.































Good try Jerry.... too small.
















Too big Tristan ...... keep looking.



































Searching for the perfect Christmas Tree.


















Our best ever Christmas tree set up smack in the center of the house.















Even Billy the Kid thought we had the best ever tree.

Peaceful winter evenings; a Grandson, a book and a cat.


This where we spent Christmas day. High in the Sierra, on the slopes, until the chair lifts were closed down due to heavy, gusting winds in the early afternoon.




Out on the town with good friends on New Year's Eve. This was a notable part of the holiday decor in one of our finest local dining establishments.




The Cowboy's winter project. A roof addition on the barn.





No snow at our house this December. Last year's blizzard was a once-in-20-year storm and I'm holding them to that promise.





The votes are in, my Chili was tasted and judged to be #1 this year. Yeehaw!



January trails are wet, but time spent with good friends is worth a bit of mud.






My Man and My Mule. hehehe






Someone likes his new Christmas bike.




The hiking is muddy too....











but the mud is worth every minute of time spent keeping up with the boy.



I'll try to have our awesome winter vacation pictures ready to share in a day or two.
Happy Trails!

7 comments:

di :) said...

i just thought earlier today...when is she ever gonna post again. Great to hear from you :)

david said...

I was just thinking of your Chilli on the way to mom and dads today. & now I know. CONGRATS. It most have been GOOOOD. or you were the only entry. great pictures, keep em coming. DAVID

Anonymous said...

I liked every picture on post here. would love to comment on them all, but sure take up lots of room. Great pictures, lots of fun showned in amost all of them.. keep pictures coming..

lov to all mom, grma f said...

anonymous was me, got away from me before could sign. Lov Mom f

Karen Deborah said...

it's about time you showed up! Thought that another one bit the FB dust. Love the pics. My favorites are the horses at attention and the lighted Christmas tree. Think I have to side with your cowboy on the helmet thing. I HATE helmets of all kinds and knee pads and all that other crap. You know most kids must not like it either because I don't see too many out there on bikes. They are all in front of something techno.
The thing about falling out of a bucket is you'd only do that once. "Howdy God" not a bad way to die if your ready to meet your maker. Just saying.

Michael Rawluk said...

That is almost too much of a post to comprehend. Amazing photos. You guys have an amazing life.

Jenn said...

"Barrel of monkeys..." hahahaha!!! LOVE IT! You guys sure do keep a wonderful kind of busy.

And I'm soooo jealous of all that green....I may end up moving to Ca just to get away from all this danged ice and snow and power outages and crap.