Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chores

Jerry left at 5 a.m. to work down in the bay area putting some big cement structures under a bridge. He has a crew of 'riggers' that do the work but on the tough ones he goes to make sure things go well. He said that this one was a b*tch, he got home late this evening. He has a knack for figuring out how to move gargantuan stuff in seemingly inaccessible places. He's the one 'they' call when no one else can figure out a move. Every now and then I'll go out on a job with him and I find it amazing, but it does bother me when they are doing stuff high in the sky, and of course he has to go up too. No keeping Jerry down on the job.

So while he was down in the big city, I stayed home all day and worked around here. It was a hot day with a bit of a breeze. We have more brush to burn but I didn't risk it with the wind. I accomplished bunches but none of it very exciting.

I spent time watering the vegetable garden and the rock gardens. The flowers we planted this week are looking really nice. But we need more plants, three of the rock gardens still look a bit empty. I'm worried about the veggie garden, I don't think the majority of the seeds are coming up as they should. AND it looks like bugs must be eating at the little seedlings that have sprouted.

I got out all of our camp stuff and sorted through everything. I have been camping for a number of years and so has Jerry. We don't just do your basic set up a tent and camp, we haul along our horses too. So our camp gear is human and horse stuff. And we have a lot of duplicates that we don't need to be hauling around every time we go on a camp out. I have everything sorted, packed and ready to load into the trailer.

I mentioned yesterday that Jerry, like the good cowboy he is, always has farrier supplies in the trailer. Well good vet that I am, I always have medical supplies along. I updated and repacked my traveling horse-doctor gear. Our riding club's first camp out of the year is this weekend. I always hope I don't have to do any doctoring, but accidents do happen. As they say, horses are just an accident waiting to happen! I repacked and resupplied my human first aid kit too, sometimes the accidents involve horse AND rider. I know this from first hand experience.

Daily I remove boxes from the garage. I am more than 1/2 way done with clearing the garage now. Sometimes the job goes slowly as I rediscover items that I haven't unpacked in a few years. Last night I opened a box of old picture albums and high school year books. Took a little time to flip through the pages of memories. Wondering, how did I get so old so FAST? Today I opened boxes of decorating items so I also did a bit more decorating. Just a little at a time but the job is getting done. I have a pile of more things to put up in the rafters; my ski equipment, my golf bag and clubs, winter coats in a tote, mud and snow boots in another tote.

To end the day of chores I washed my truck and my car. And, I had room to put the car in the garage.

Jerry made it home safely through the gross California big city rush hour traffic, we had a nice dinner and now it's time for bed.

Oops, I forgot to update the last goal: weight lost this week Zero. But none gained back either.
I am curious about other's goals. How are you doing?

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I have been doing the whole dieting thing since September and it is so slow. Take the last 3 weeks for example...0 pounds lost every.single.week! It gets so frustrating some times.

Anonymous said...

NEW PLACES ALWAYS KEEPS ONE BUSY. CAR? WHAT CAR? GOOD TO HEAR THAT JERRY IS BACK TO GETTING OUT THERE WITH THE TUFF STUFF. JUST HOPE HE DOESN'T OVER DO IT. HIGH PLACES! NOT FOR ME. THE GROUND IS A GOOD PLACE TO WORK. SOON ALL THE STUFF AROUND THE HOUSE WILL BE DONE AND ALL YOU'LL HAVE TO DO IS ENJOY IT.JUST TAKE IT EASY. MISS YA. DAVID

Anonymous said...

why would you put your old tahoe in the garage instead of your new pickup? Goal #1 haven't planted yet still cold and afraid of frost
Goal #2 lost 4 more pounds
Goal #3 books still in piles in bedroom Goal #4 photos untouched!!

Anonymous said...

Oy... I am shamed. I am going to shut the computer down and get back down in the basement.

I love reading about you and your cowboy! Be sure to take lots of pictures this weekend!

Hmmmmmmm... I think I am going to write about our first camping trip. It was in our backyard. That is what I will post about tomorrow!

Karen Deborah said...

weight loss zero. still walking 5 miles a couple times a week and doing yoga. Kitchen finished.
I got old fast too, don't know when it happened and can't remember either. I still wonder who that old woman in the mirror is. haven't started the dining room yet. Have started working agency. Have not finished building the high school transcript for Piglet. um my other goals are slippin my mind right now. ditto on the stories of you and yer cowboy, and your way cool out in the country life. Rock on with the travellin doc kit, that's cool.
I can send you some columbine seeds if you want they should grow good up there. Rose of sharon does well and shasta daises. Pick hardy drought tolerent stuff. Rain is an issue as you know.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are keeping real busy and getting lots done. Good for you.

1-I still haven't one box unpacked, in garage.
2-I will not step on a scale to check my weight.
3-I just got a book, in mail, from my sister, I hope to read real soon.
4-weather still crazy here, to even think about planting, any flowers.

High place, no way, DON'T even want to watch anyone climb up high. NO WAY.
But good thing there are some who don't give it even a second thought and do it.
"Hi Jerry" XO Take care.

Kathy said...

Courtney- I know what you mean!

David- the old Tahoe and in my opinion,Jerry does overdo it all the time. He cannot slow down.

Di- the Tahoe fit better than the Dodge at this point. LOL and it shows the dust more and it is dusty here right now. And please share your secret to such profound weight loss, are you starving?

Hey coffee bean- this goal thing was your bright idea. Maybe we'll finish garage and basement together!

Karen d.- 5 miles is awsome, how long does it take? I would love flower seeds and any advice you care to offer. Your flowers are so beautiful.

Mom- what is the new book? I just finished East of Eden. I am trying to get to as many of the old classics that I've missed, that I can. Jenn sent me a good reading list 2 years ago.

Thank you all for reading and sharing your comments. I enjoy you all too!