Sunday, November 18, 2007

Tule Fog

TULE (too-lee) FOG: Named for the tule reed or cattail wetlands of the California Central Valley. The Central Valley from Bakersfield south, extends north to Red Bluff, rimmed by the Coastal Ranges on the west and the Sierra Nevada to the east. A large, flat expanse of agricultural land.

This very thick fog collects during the rainy season of late fall and winter. Traffic speeding along in zero-visability tule fog has been the cause of those awful, fatal California pile-ups on hwys 5 and 99.

Fog usually forms the 1st or 2nd clear night after it has rained, the skies have cleared, and the winds light. Rain + rapid cooling + longer nights. Inversion occurs, colder air nearer the earth's surface. The cold mountain night air descends into the valley and becomes trapped. The air above the tule fog is warmer, drier, lighter, further serving to trap the heavy, humid fog. Low air drainage may result in several days of fog, while sunny breezy days may clear the fog by noon.

After one year suffering the heat, smog, and tule fog; I fled the Central Valley for the refreshing foothills of the Sierra. Recently back in 'the Valley', hopefully temporarily, I am seeking and finding beauty in the fog.


The bad, ugly, dangerous, depressing.


Silent calm.......



Peaceful.......



Gentle comfort.........


Hauntingly beautiful.......



Starting again where my previous post began.... Another cool, dense, foggy morning. ---the delay in my blogging (I am not sure if that is an actual verb) was a result of several medical complications from my little horse accident. I have been spending time in bed with my leg elevated, thankful for drugs that minimize the discomfort and allow me to sleep. The same drugs have made me inappetent and nauseated. A different prescription is working better and without the side effects.

I can read and blog again.

Out of my fog!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess You can call the fog, all those things. But, Not good for driving in, not at all. No way.

Glad to read your new drugs are working better for you. Still don't over due. Take care.

Hope Jerry is feeling better and his drogs are OK for him!
Tell Jerry "Hi"

Jenn said...

I love waking up in the morning to a low-lying fog, heavy over the pond and the pasture. It is calming and serene, but awful to try to drive in.

Welcome back from your own personal fog! Glad you are feeling better.

Courtney said...

I am glad to see you back and that you are feeling somewhat better. Sorry you were in a fog personally.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

The pictures have a certain calming effect - they are sort of hard to look away from.

Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/