Friday, January 4, 2008

Hurricane: California style

The front pasture is flooded.



The back pasture is flooded.


The middle pasture is flooded.

WINTER STORM ALERT!

I feel like I'm weathering a sea storm aboard a boat. Our home is rocking and rolling, rain is pelting loudly, acorns and tree branches crashing off the roof. The roaring gusts of 60+ mph winds are bouncing us around. The rain isn't falling down, it's whipping along parallel to the ground. Just a few minutes outside to toss hay to the horses and I was soaked to my underwear.


The local TV station is staying on weather watch, no 'regularly scheduled programing'. We are sitting here cozy and warm with the heat on, candles burning, and a hot pot of coffee. We still have electric, the candles are just for added coziness. I am certainly thankful we are able to stay house-bound, I hadn't scheduled work today and Jerry is still on medical leave from work. The highways are a mess, the airport is for the most part shut down, trees are blowing over, creek and river flooding is anticipated. This is the warm part of the storm, in a few hours the cold front will hit. The blizzards in the high country will intensify, and the snow will pile up. A skier's paradise.


The ranch buildings appear to be intact, although the roof of the barn next to us is straining hard to break loose. If things calm a bit, I'll drive back to the river for a look. I don't see any trees down. Three separate pastures of horse and mules, none are electing to seek indoor shelter, they are content to stand in groups with their rumps to the wind. The cattle have no choice.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what they say here in MI.
IF THIS WAS SNOW WE WOULD HAVE THIS MANY INCHS. Just SMILE and enjoy. DAVID

Jenn said...

You always say how much you miss the wild, strong storms of the midwest! We had MASSIVE wind yesterday, nearly blew me over. But no rain. And 70-degree temps.

I heard there is 11 feet of snow in the mountains...that's A LOT of snow!

I see you figured out video! Awesome!